Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The spice of life

Every Monday we eat either black bean taco salad or taco meat with refried beans, not much of a variety but it's a family favourite. That means I always had to keep taco seasoning on hand. Not anymore! Here's a filler free taco seasoning recipe that you can make in a big batch and store in an air tight container 


Taco Seasoning 
1 tbs chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp red pepper - use half if you don't like spicy
1/4 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Mix well and add 2 tbs and 2/3c of water to meat

Being from the north, I ate a tong of chili in my lifetime. It's the perfect comfort food during a blizzard and it lasts forever in the fridge. I got sick of buying that packaged as well so I came up with my own concoction. It's pretty good if I do say so myself!  

Chili seasoning
 1 tsp basil
1 tbs onion powder
4 tsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1 tbs red pepper flakes
1 tbs garlic powder
2 tsp sugar
2 tbs flour
mix well and add to chili!
you can make a bunch ahead and store. Use 1/3 c per pot 


BTW this song was going on over and over in my head while I was writing this. 


No comments:

Post a Comment